The much awaited Temporary Parent Visa was announced on 5 May 2017 and is before the Senate. In case if it gets through, it will be available later this year.
The criteria which are not limited to would be:
- Parents must be sponsored by a biological, adoptive or step child
- Sponsor must be Australian Citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
- Sponsoring child must be 18 year old or over and must had lived in Australia over 4 years
- Child must be able to meet household income and character requirements
- Child must accept legal liability for any debts including care in public health system during parents stay in Australia
- Parents will be required to obtain and maintain private health insurance for the entire period of their stay in Australia
- Only one set of parents can apply for this visa
The sponsorship and visa application will be assessed separately which means that a child must be approved as a sponsor before the application is made.
The good this that would benefit the clients is that the ‘Balance of Family Test’ will not be applicable as well as there would not be any requirement for English language for the grant of this visa.
There would be two options available
- 3 year visa would incur a Visa Application fee of $5000.00
- 5 year visa would incur a Visa Application fee of $10,000.00
The visa holders will not be able to engage in paid work but would be able to assist with childcare activities within family. The maximum stay they can have under this visa is for 10 years.
Hope the article helps you and answer few questions.